What better way to embrace the fall season as well as the month of October? A fabulous pea coat, I would say! I think that finding the perfect coat with impeccably placed oversized buttons is a way to not only keep the chill out of your bones but to also look fall fashionable. Try a creme color or something with a fun pattern. If you prefer to go with something bolder and darker, go with a charcoal over black. Save the black for winter and use fresh and light alternatives while you can.
Modcloth.com coat in creme
Although a great coat is a must-have for fall, don’t neglect the other necessities. In my opinion, the top five things (aside from a great coat) that you need include:
1. Boots- both flat and a pair with heels in an over-the-knee and a bootie. Avoid mid-calf boots at all costs. They don’t do justice for anyone’s legs.
2. A cute hat, whether it’s a fitted cap or a more baggy, slouchy beanie style cap.
Sonia Rykiel Flower Cap from Nordstrom; $115
3. SCARVES. These are an absolute MUST. Try an infinity scarf, a traditional scarf, a wool one, a chiffon one, acrylic, knit, fringe, no fringe, solid color, color block, pattern, long, short, triangular; heck, MAKE YOUR OWN. Get creative and have them for both casual and dressier looks. Add a brooch or pin for some pizazz.
4. Leggings. I know this sounds pretty rudimentary, but if you think about it, leggings are all important when it comes to the fall. It’s not quite so cold out yet that they’re going to leave you with goosebumps all over but you also have to consider that you are going to be wearing boots, and leggings are ideal for wearing boots with because you don’t have to tolerate the annoying bunch and scrunch of tucking jeans into boots that hug your calves. Also, fall is the time of year where you can get creative with some faux leather leggings, gray leggings, or even thicker wool leggings. You can purchase them in 19 million different ways than your basic black and now is the time to do so.
5. An amazing chunky cardigan. Nothing embodies the season of foliage, pumpkin-picking, and hot lattes more than a chunky, cozy, stylish cardigan. It’s never a bad idea either to have a few in different styles and colors. Try one with snaps, one with large buttons, one with toggle closures, one with a zipper, or one with a waist tie. Three-quarter sleeves, long-sleeves, cropped cardigans or long, no matter what, you can’t really go wrong.
Michael Kors chunky cape cardigan; $150
Read Full Post »